As most of you know, I am on the re.design with prima design team.
A while back Prima asked if any of us would like to collaborate on a project using Amulent Paint from The Chippy Barn. Since I love trying out new products and sharing them with you guys here on my blog, I jumped at the chance.
Amulent Paint is not a chalk paint or a milk paint, instead it is a ceramic paint. I have to say, I don’t know much about the science behind ceramic paint so I googled it. I found an article online about ceramic paint that lists its benefits (you can find the article here):
- A smoother, more continuous paint film that resists cracking.
- Superior stain resistance—stains don’t get absorbed, so they can be wiped off.
- The ceramics produce a less tacky paint surface, which reduces dirt accumulation.
- Round spheres roll past each other in the paint, greatly enhancing flow and leveling.
- And microspheres help hide the underlying substrate and reduce the luster of the paint.
It all sounds good to me.
So, I started searching online for just the right piece to use for this collaboration and found this empire style dresser.
I knew I could deal with the mismatched knobs. This piece also had quite a bit of loose veneer, but that was remedied with some gluing and clamping. And FYI, this is another faux wood grain piece. Those stripes are fake, so I didn’t feel one bit of guilt painting over them.
After gluing, clamping, sanding lightly and cleaning thoroughly (this dresser was also disgustingly dirty when I got it) with TSP substitute, I added a coat of Cottage White.
I always prep my pieces with a light scuff sanding followed by vacuuming inside and out. When you’re working with used vintage furniture I think it’s just good common sense to give them a good clean before you move on to painting. Generally I use TSP Substitute which is less harsh than TSP but does a good job of removing any greasy residues.
I was quite impressed by the coverage of this paint after just the first coat. I stopped there and let the paint dry for a good 24 hours mainly because I wanted to be sure I wasn’t getting any bleed-thru from that orange-y looking stain before moving on to a second coat of paint.
I was in luck, no bleed-thru on this one. So I added a 2nd coat of the Cottage White. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I didn’t need a 3rd coat, especially since this is a white paint.
I also found that the Amulent Paint distressed beautifully. I sanded the edges of the dresser using 220 grit paper to add a little ‘age’ to my finish.
Next I pulled out re.design with prima’s Simplicity transfer which is a lovely black toile print.
I considered using it for all of the drawer fronts, but to fully cover them all from side to side would have required three sets of the transfer. The drawers are around 26.5″ wide by 36″ tall, the transfer is 22″ wide x 30″ tall, so just a hair short both ways. So instead I decided to just do the top two drawers.
I’ve always been a huge fan of the graphic punch of black and white, and this transfer was perfect over the Cottage White paint.
For a final finish on this piece I used The Chippy Barn’s Specialty Clear Wax in the Lemongrass scent. If you’ve followed me for a while, you know that I LOVE using products that smell good. If you like lemongrass scent, you will love this wax! If you’re not a fan of lemongrass, it also comes in four other scents; Lavender, Lilac, Peppermint and Spearmint. Or you can get it unscented, and in white, brown or black.
This dresser was short 3 glass knobs when Mr. Q brought it home. Not only that, but the knobs were filthy dirty and the metal screws were quite rusted (and not in a good way). So I found three matching (or mostly matching) knobs in my stash, soaked the originals in soapy water to get them clean and then replaced just the screws with new ones. Did you know that you can buy these screws in chrome or brass at D Lawless Hardware for just 20 cents each? Good to know if you ever run into a piece like this.
In the end, all of the knobs look brand new.
As a final touch, I lined just the top two drawers with some scrapbook paper. The drawer bottoms were a bit stained so I opted to cover that up.
I think this one turned out lovely. It would be perfect for someone’s cottage style decor, and with six drawers total it would provide great storage.
Thank you to re.design with prima for setting up this collaboration and for providing the Simplicity transfer. And thank you to The Chippy Barn for providing the Amulent paint and the lemongrass scented wax.
If you’d like to check out The Chippy Barn, you can find them here.
And if you are local and need a sweet, cottage style dresser visit my ‘available for local sale‘ page to find out if this one is still available.