I spent part of last week digging out my carriage house workshop after the long winter.
For those of you who aren’t familiar, this is my carriage house. I park my car on one side in the winter and store future projects on the other side. In summer, I paint out there.
Awww, it looks so pretty in pictures. Especially winter pictures when the red pops against the white snow. Now don’t be confused, it really isn’t still winter here in Minnesota, I just didn’t have a summer photo of the carriage house handy.
But the reality behind the pretty photo is that the carriage house is not at all weather or critter proof. In the winter I mostly just shove stuff in there to store it until spring because it’s far too cold to spend any time at all out there. When the weather starts warming up again I have to sort through all of that stuff and get my workshop situated so I can bring my painting supplies back out and resume painting out there.
While doing that this spring I encountered a possum, a chipmunk and a robin inside the carriage house. Eeeeeek! I’m telling you, it’s not critter proof at all. And clearly my cat Lucy is not doing her job properly.
Well, the critters will soon figure out that I am taking back my workshop and hopefully find somewhere less busy to hang out.
In addition to the possum, I also came across a stash of clipboards that I’d been acquiring over the course of last summer’s garage sale season.
At the time I thought it would be fun to paint these up and use them as ‘frames’ for some prints but I never got around to it last year.
The vintage book of Audubon bird prints I found at the Tangletown sales had some perfect candidates for the clipboards though, so I decided to whip something up.
Since the prints had a lot of shades of green in them, I decided to go with green on my clipboards.
I pulled out an old jar of Little Billy Goat chalk paint in a color called Porch Swing. A couple of years ago Little Billy Goat sponsored a few projects with me and sent me some of their paint to try. I loved most of it, but I was quickly reminded that I didn’t love the Porch Swing while working on this project. For some reason the Porch Swing ends up looking weirdly splotchy for me once I add a top coat. The first time I used it I painted an entire dresser, and ending up having to paint it over again with something else when I got this splotchy look.
In the case of the clipboards, I tried to use Miss Mustard Seed wax on the first one and it looked terrible (sorry, I neglected to get a photo). I tried Miss Mustard Seed hemp oil on the next two and got better results, although still slightly splotchy. So I repainted the first one (after using mineral spirits and a green scrubbing pad to remove the wax) and then used hemp oil on it also so that all three would match.
Next I added some Tim Holtz rub-on numbers to the clips.
Then I just simply added my Audubon prints and they were good to go.
These would be perfect for hanging above your potting bench.
Or maybe just hanging on the wall in a sunroom.
What a simple, inexpensive way to add some interest to your walls!