I was hoping to have a fabulous vintage painted dresser to share with you guys today. And actually, the dresser itself is done. However, I haven’t had the chance to take photos of it yet. I could have raced through some not very well staged photos in the driveway, but this particular dresser deserves better. I kind of love how it turned out and I want to do it justice, so you’ll have to wait until next week for that.
Instead I’m going to share a few quickie garage sale makeovers today that I’ve finished in the the last couple of weeks.
I purchased this trio of goodies at the Tangletown sales back at the beginning of May.
The vintage chalkboard was the easiest makeover. The chalkboard portion itself was in pretty rough shape from what I can only imagine were years of abuse.
So I sanded that down with my orbital sander and repainted it with Rustoleum chalkboard paint.
You might be wondering why I didn’t use milk paint for this chalkboard and the simple reason is that I wasn’t sure it would stick to this surface. I’m not even really sure what the surface of this chalkboard is. The label calls it a ‘slated blackboard’, but it didn’t feel heavy enough to actually be slate. What is a ‘slated’ chalkboard anyway? Do any of you know?
The Rustoleum chalkboard paint worked well on this surface, regardless of what it is.
Aside from cleaning it a little, I left the frame of the chalkboard ‘as is’. I love how worn and well used it looks.
Once the chalkboard paint was fully dry, I seasoned the chalkboard by rubbing chalk all over it and then wiping it away with a dry cloth. Next I used one of my favorite stencils to outline some lettering and then filled it in with chalk. I added some butcher’s string to hang it, and that was it.
While I had the chalkboard paint out, I also added some to the kid-size folding chair.
Here it is before.
In addition to turning the seat into a chalkboard, I also added some Tim Holtz number rub-ons to the chair back.
Then I used one of my favorite methods for adding a chalk drawing. Check out my ‘how-to’ post on that by clicking the photo below:
You may recall the chair in that post hanging on the wall in my kitchen …
I just love it, so when I saw the nearly identical little chair at the Tangletown sales I knew I had to buy it and make another.
Last up is the random piece of paneling that I purchased for a dollar. I really don’t know what this came from, but I thought it would make a great sign.
I started off giving it a paint job.
I was playing around a bit with using water and chalk paint and blending two colors into each other.
I used Dixie Belle’s Stormy Seas and Savannah Mist which work beautifully together. I don’t think I’m ready to attempt this technique on a piece of furniture yet, but it was fun to practice with it on this paneling.
Once I had achieved a look I liked with the paint I let it dry and then added a Prima Marketing transfer. You can find this particular transfer on Amazon.com for $10 right now.
Part of the reason I purchased this piece of paneling in the first place was because I already had this transfer and I thought it might just fit perfectly … and it did.
In fact the design of the transfer mimics the raised detail on the paneling almost exactly.
I could not have planned this better if I’d tried.
Now I just have to head to my local hardware store and figure out some way to add hangers to this piece. It’s pretty thin so my normal options won’t work. It’s also pretty light, so I don’t need something heavy duty. I’m thinking some sort of adhesive hanger will do the trick.
Be sure to check back next week when I promise I really will share that dresser, and as a bonus I might also have a gorgeous sideboard that I’ve been working on finished too!