Last Friday I shared the beginnings of my guest room makeover with you. I didn’t really purposely ‘choose’ a color scheme for the room, it came about rather by chance. As I mentioned, the cupboard painted in Homestead House’s Laurentien milk paint was something I painted months ago not intending to keep. I added my mom’s little crocheted dress to the mix, and then realized that these two colors worked beautifully with a couple of vintage books I had and thus a color scheme was born.
At that point I couldn’t help thinking that the dress and that Tom Sawyer book were both similar in color to Miss Mustard Seed’s Apron Strings milk paint.
It’s not quite a pink, more of a coral, but a pink-ish coral. Hard to describe, but coincidentally all of these items are this same shade.
Since I happened to have some Apron Strings on hand, I decided to keep an eye out for some small accent piece to paint for my guest room. So when I brought these chairs home on Saturday, I was inspired to paint one in Apron Strings.
I’ve seen some pieces painted in Apron Strings on pinterest where the pigments show a fair amount of variation, like this gorgeous dresser from All Dolled Up.
You can see that the paint has a little more yellow on the upper drawers, but is a little more pink on the lowers. Certain color pigments don’t always dissolve as well as others, especially the yellow. I actually love that look on the dresser above. I think it gives it a gorgeous, almost water color, sort of effect. I was hoping to get some of that color variation on my chair, but I really didn’t. I think I may have mixed my paint a little too well.
I also thought I might get bleed through from the original dark stain, but there was none. I worried it might end up taking at least 3 coats of paint to get good coverage over that dark color (this was the darkest of the three chairs), but no, it just took two. I was also was prepared to get too much chipping because I didn’t prep the chair much at all. I just wiped it down with a damp rag. But again, no problem at all. In the long run, painting this chair could not have been any easier. Keep in mind that the existing finish was very worn and dried out. If the finish had been more recent, more shiny, more impervious, I would have either sanded it down more thoroughly before painting, or used a base coat of Fusion paint followed by the milk paint.
Since I didn’t get much natural chipping I ‘created’ some with my masking tape method. I basically press some tape into the paint and then sort of rip it back off quickly. I use the yellow Frog tape (for delicate surfaces) for this. If you want more chipping you could try a stronger tape like regular masking tape.
So to recap; very little prep, no primer, no pre-sanding, two coats of milk paint, some post-sanding, a little frog tape and then I added a final coat of hemp oil.
I recovered the seat using some white chenille that I already had on hand. The chenille tones down the formality of the chair a bit.
I’d initially thought the chair would work next to the cupboard, until I put it there and it looked like a miniature.
OK, that photo is a bit misleading, it’s not really that small, but the cupboard is quite tall and the chair is a little on the petite side.
So I’ve moved it over to the corner next to the radiator, a much better fit.
By the way, I almost nabbed a Jenny Lind bed for my guest room at the garage sales last Saturday. There was one for sale for $5. But then I noticed it was missing a spindle. And it didn’t have side rails, just a headboard and foot board. Still … I debated grabbing it and using the foot board (which had all of its spindles) as a headboard. In the end I walked away though. I’m still holding out for the perfect find, but eventually this room is going to come together.