The potting shed is well on its way to becoming a fab photo studio!
First up, I scraped the existing pink walls and then used the hose to power wash the interior.
Next came two coats of white over everything.
This is some serious whiteness.
Time to add some interest to the floor. I contemplated a damask stencil, but in the end I just had to go with my standby fave, a diamond pattern.
Out came the tools of the trade.
I’ve mentioned before that I don’t like to tape when I paint a floor. The taping takes so much time, and you go through so much tape. You also have to deal with bleed thru. Of course, you could tape it all, then paint with the base color again to prevent paint bleeding under the tape. But, then that is another step as well. Personally, I’d rather just draw the pattern on the floor and paint it in freehand. I have a pretty steady hand for this, but a good angled brush makes it fairly easy. Also, it really doesn’t have to be absolutely perfect in here.
I started by finding the exact center of my floor, and then I started measuring out from there, using a square to keep the lines nice and straight.
If you look closely, you can see that I originally drew a smaller square, but then decided I wanted them a little larger.
After several hours of back breaking work (seriously, I am getting too old for crawling around on the floor for 4 hours), I have a fab floor that I totally love!
I think this is going to make an awesome backdrop for furniture photo shoots. As I have found with my grey and white striped walls in the house, pretty much any color furniture looks great with this combo. And on the rare occasion when it just doesn’t work, I can always throw a rug down.
Just for kicks, I decided to do a trial run photo shoot.
As I hoped, the studio does work like a big walk in light box.
So far, so good. Next up, Ken and I came up with a great solution for that back window. We’re going to work on it next week.
I also am revamping the cabinet that will go back in here and contain my photo props. Stay tuned!