Phew! I don’t know about you, but I am so done with Christmas projects. Part of my problem is that I have to start really early (usually in September) in order to get everything done by November. Well, at least for projects that I am planning to sell. I always feel like I need to have everything ready to go by the first week in November or I’ve missed the boat.
So by the time Christmas actually gets here, I’m more than ready to move on. I know many of you probably leave your decorations up through the New Year, but I tend to start taking them down right away. I’m always champing at the bit to get everything cleared away.
So, while I’m working on that, I thought I’d share my latest lock box makeover.
This one started out pretty rusty and crusty.
I gave it the usual prep; a good sanding to remove any chippy bits and smooth out the rusty spots followed by cleaning with a grease cutting detergent. Once it was thoroughly dry, I coated it inside and out with Dixie Belle’s B.O.S.S. to block any future bleed thru of rust or dark stains.
Next I painted it inside and out in Dixie Belle’s Silk paint in Anchor. The Silk line of their paint has a built in primer and top coat, so although I usually prefer to use their chalk style paint on metal, I thought I’d give the Silk paint a go this time.
I have to admit that I was planning to go in a totally different direction with the embellishments on this one. I was going to use the I.O.D. Rose Chintz paint inlay on the top. But first I pulled out a left over scrap of gold lettering from the re.design with prima Flower Collector transfer and added it around the bottom of the box.
I have to admit that initially I didn’t like the look at all. I was even considering just sanding it down and starting over. I definitely felt like I was stepping outside my comfort zone of Dixie Belle Drop Cloth and black typography. But then I decided to just keep going and see what happened, and I’m glad I did.
The first thing I did was add a coat of Dixie Belle’s flat clear coat over the gold lettering. That went a long way towards toning down that halo around the letters that always shows up so much more distinctly over dark colors.
Next, I changed my mind about the Rose Chintz inlay. I felt like it just wouldn’t work with the gold lettering. I needed something a little darker, a little moodier. Maybe a little less sweet.
After going through all of my floral transfers, I decided that I.O.D.’s Floral Anthology was the best option.
The florals in this transfer are outlined and shaded with fine black lines and cross hatching which makes it work perfectly over black paint.
After adding another coat of the Dixie Bell flat clear coat to the exterior for protection, I decided that I needed to add a pop of color to the interior rather than leaving it black. So I painted it in a custom mix of Dixie Belle’s Silk paint.
I mixed this paint up quite a while ago. At the time I was trying to come close to Annie Sloan’s Scandinavian Pink.
I’d seen Scandinavian Pink on a dresser at a shop out in Henderson, NV while visiting my mom and I thought it was so pretty. I think I came fairly close with my custom mix of Dixie Belle Silk paint. I didn’t measure, I just kept adding a little of this and a little of that until it felt right. I started with mainly their Desert Rose, but it had a slightly cooler/bluer undertone. So I added some of their Mojave to warm it up. Then I added a little Drop Cloth to lighten it up just slightly.
I was planning to use the color on the interior of a cabinet that I painted back in February, but I ended up going with an olive green on that instead. So I pulled out my faux Scandinavian Pink for the lock box.
Since I’d used Silk paint with its built-in top coat on the inside, I didn’t feel that I needed to add an additional top coat. However, I did end up top coating the exterior because of the addition of the transfers, so I could just as well have used the chalk style paint for the outside.
I staged this as a sewing box. It would be a convenient place to store your extra buttons, needles and thread, and other sewing paraphernalia.
In the end, I’m glad I decided to go ahead and embrace the dark side.
It’s always good to try something different and just see where it takes you.
That being said, I’ve already gone back to using Drop Cloth. as well at that Rose Chintz paint inlay, on the next toolbox I’m working on. I’m sure I’ll be sharing that one soon, so stay tuned for that.
In the meantime, this lock box is for sale. Be sure to check out my ‘available for local sale’ if you are interested.
Thank you to Dixie Belle Paint Co for providing the paint and top coat used on this lockbox makeover.