This past weekend I finished up the remaining piece from the trio of large pieces that I purchased at the Linden Hills garage sales back in May.
You’ve seen the dresser …
And the white bookcase …
Now for the bookcase with the glass door.
Much like the white bookcase, this piece was also once a built-in. However with this piece someone had already done some work to allow it to be a stand-alone piece of furniture. There had already been a finished side added to the side that was once up against a wall.
If you look at the top of the bookcase in the ‘before’ shot, you can see that at one time there also must have been some trim around the top that had been removed.
As luck would have it, I happened to have a spare length of old trim in the rafters of the carriage house that was plenty long enough to add some trim back to the top of the bookcase.
My handyman Ken made quick work of cutting the trim to fit and attaching it.
From there I simply sanded lightly, cleaned the piece with TSP Substitute and then I painted the outside with Sweet Pickins In a Pickle.
Except … wait a minute … hold the phone … did you notice the piece doesn’t look green at all in that photo of the trim? Well, as it turned out I didn’t like the green on the bookcase. I can’t really explain why, it just wasn’t working for me.
So I whipped up a custom mix of Homestead House milk paint instead.
This is about a 1/2 cup of Craftsman, which is a pale minty gray-green, with about 2 tablespoons of Loyalist, a medium blue, added.
This subdued blue-green-grey color seemed much better suited for this bookcase. I added two coats of this color over the In a Pickle. Once dry I sanded the piece and added a very light coat of Miss Mustard Seed’s clear furniture wax for protection.
I was initially planning to paint the inside as well, but ultimately I decided I wanted to leave it the dark wood instead.
Something like ironstone or milk glass will really pop against the dark wood.
I swapped out the original knob, which was rather boring, for this white enamel knob.
I’ve had that single knob in my stash of hardware for so many years that I can’t remember where I purchased it. Possibly Anthropologie, but I’m not positive.
As you can see in those close up shots, the finish on this piece was very alligator-ed. It had to have been stored somewhere hot (like an attic) for some length of time. I love the textured look I get using milk paint over a damaged finish like this. I didn’t get any chipping with my milk paint, but sanding over that bumpy finish created an aged look that I love.
Looking at these photos has made me realize that if I’m going to keep attempting to take furniture photos inside my photo cottage (like these), I really need to put a fresh coat of paint on the floor and walls. It has not held up well at all. It looked so fresh and clean when I initially painted it …
I guess four years of walking on it with dirty shoes, dragging furniture across it, and having it semi-open to the Minnesota weather has taken its toll.
I’ll just add that project to my to-do list … you know, the one that is longer than my arm.
But in the meantime, be sure to let me know what you think of my alligator’ed bookcase!
This piece is available for sale locally, so be sure to check out the details if interested.