In Monday’s post about the ‘catalogue dresser’ I mentioned that it came with a bed.
Although they aren’t pictured, it did include side rails and slats as well as the headboard and foot board. But have you noticed anything odd?
Here’s a closer look …
Wow, right? The seller told me that the bed was too tall for her elderly grandmother, so her dad’s solution to that problem was to cut off the original feet and replace them with a block of wood and tacky white plastic wheels.
And I am guessing that this bed probably originally had ball and claw feet on the foot board to match the dresser …
Sigh. Let’s all observe a moment of silence over the loss of those feet, shall we?
OK, moving on. Once I had this bed home, I asked Ken to come over and consult about the feet … or lack thereof. After discussing some options, both Ken and I agreed that it was going to be difficult to add new feet and to attain the kind of stability that you really want in a bed. More difficult than it was worth anyway.
Obviously it was time for this bed to be put to rest!
So I decided to turn it into two separate pieces. I started with the foot board and simply removed the blocks of wood and the tacky wheels. Then I painted it with a coat of Rachel Ashwell Clear Primer to prevent stain bleed-thru later. I had some of my custom Blue Alligator milk paint left over from the dresser I painted a couple of weeks ago, so I started with a base layer of that. To clarify: once mixed, milk paint can only be saved for 2 to 3 days. I painted this base coat at the same time as that dresser not two weeks later. Once the paint was dry I added beeswax in areas that I wanted to chip. You can see those smears of beeswax in this photo …
Next I added three coats of Miss Mustard Seed milk paint in Farmhouse White.
Sure enough, I got amazing chipping wherever I had smeared on the beeswax.
I really love how this one crackled and chipped!
For the the pièce de résistance, I added another fabulous transfer from Iron Orchid Designs (FYI this design is not available at Sweet Pickins, I found it at Red Posie) …
And voilà, the foot board has been reinvented as a sign.
Although I currently have hung this on the wall in my dining room, I have other plans for this spot at some point so I’m going to go ahead and list it on my ‘available for local sale’ page.
I did something similar with the headboard, except I got a little help from Ken to add a shelf at the bottom. The shelf was made from the support board that went between the two legs of the headboard. Basically Ken cut off the legs just below the headboard, and then turned the support board perpendicular to the headboard and screwed it on from below.
Ken made an executive decision to leave just a 1/4″ below the curve on the two sides of the headboard. He thought it would look more intentional that way, and he was absolutely right.
I mixed up some more Blue Alligator for the headboard shelf, and this time I left it that color.
I used the bottom section of the Iron Orchid Designs ‘Specimens’ transfer on this one.
I think this piece would be perfect hanging over a desk, or on the wall above a sofa. And it’s the perfect spot to display your collection of ironstone pitchers or maybe vintage alarm clocks.
Unfortunately I definitely don’t have a spot for this piece myself, so check my ‘available for local sale’ on this one too!