A while back my pal Cathy texted and said she picked up a FREE dresser for me!
Woo hoo! Free!
Then she dropped it off.
Then I got the brilliant idea that this would be a good candidate for attempting to strip paint. You may remember that learning how to strip was my goal for this summer (not that kind of stripping, get your mind out of the gutter). So far I have mainly just stripped varnish and stain, not paint.
After all, this dresser has decent bones, and those knobs are rather fab so why not give it a go?
All I can say is, wow, what a mess. I didn’t take photos because it was so disgusting and messy, I didn’t want to go anywhere near it with a camera. It took three passes with the stripper to get the paint off. Everything was covered in paint/stripper goo. My tools, my driveway, my apron, my shoes, my legs. Egads! And after all of that, the stain underneath that paint was one of those horrible red bleeding stains. No amount of paint will cover that stuff.
Well, when you can’t beat ’em, you just paint ’em red.
This is Miss Mustard Seed milk paint in Tricycle. I waxed with a custom blend of clear wax and dark wax.
There are still shadowy areas in the finish that are a result of that stain bleeding through mostly on the top drawer front.
Those knobs are pretty cute, and the base definitely has some charm.
This dresser would be great in a kids room, or maybe in a mudroom or laundry room for a pop of color.
P.S. After a very productive weekend, the finished pieces are piled up like cord wood. I’ll be posting something fab every day this week. Stay tuned!