Normally I don’t do custom work, but if you’ve read my blog for long then you know that I like to break my own rules all the time. And I’ve broken this one a few times.
A very nice woman named Andrea purchased the spoon carved dresser from me a while back.
Remember that one?
It was so pretty. And when Andrea bought it she asked me if I would be willing to paint another one to match. Ironically, if you read back to the post about that first one I mentioned that I’d custom mixed the color because I ran out of MMS Marzipan and I had to stretch my paint out by adding some other whites. So I explained to Andrea that I didn’t think I could match the color exactly, and that I don’t often do custom work. But … all of that being said, I do love painting these spoon carved pieces and I was willing to give it a shot if she was OK with not getting an exact match.
So Andrea kept her eye out for another spoon carved dresser that she liked and when she found one she sent it over to be painted. Here is how it turned out.
Although I used what I thought was close to the same mix of Marzipan, Linen and Ironstone, the color on this one is a bit lighter than the other. Andrea had mentioned that if I couldn’t get the color quite the same, she’d prefer I went lighter rather than darker.
I used the same straight up Ironstone to highlight the spoon carving. It doesn’t stand out quite as much on this piece, I think partially because there isn’t quite as much contrast between the colors but also because the spoon carving details are smaller on this one.
I really struggled with staging this dresser for photos. I didn’t necessarily want to cover up the spoon carving that is at the middle back, but I tried putting various objects on the hankie drawers and leaving the middle empty and that just always looked odd. I tried using a really pretty transferware pitcher and some vintage books. Nope. I tried adding a suitcase into the mix. Nope. I tried using several ironstone casseroles. Still, no dice.
So finally I just filled my large ironstone bowl with a floral arrangement and called it good.
I just used flowers that were available in my yard; some Vanilla Strawberry hydrangea (they are just barely starting to show a hint of pink), some hosta flower stalks, some sedum flower clusters that haven’t opened yet and a sprig or two of variegated ivy.
Andrea picked up her dresser earlier this week and she loved how it turned out. Phew! I’m always a little bit relieved when custom jobs go well.