Sometimes you just gotta go back to the drawing board.
Perhaps you remember this dresser that I painted back in February …
I loved how it turned out. But then, I happen to be a fan of toile (that is the Simplicity transfer from re.design with prima). Especially the black and white version.
It would seem that not very many other people are. Or, at least that’s what I’m blaming for the fact that this dresser hasn’t sold. Of course, it could be many other things, like COVID-19 for example. Or it could be that I haven’t stayed on top of keeping ads for it posted and updated online.
Regardless, it has been collecting dust for six months now, so I decided it was time to re-think the design.
I began by sanding the transfer off the top two drawers. I’ve found that sanding is the easiest way to remove a transfer (to read more about removing a transfer, check out this post). For those of you who have wondered about the permanence of a transfer, I can say that once properly adhered they will stay on until you want to take them off. And when you do want to take them off, you can do so, but you won’t be able to salvage the finish beneath them in the process.
So once I had the transfer (and most of the paint) removed, I simply repainted the top two drawers in the same paint I used on this piece back in February, Amulent paint from The Chippy Barn.
Back then, this color was called Cottage White. For some reason, The Chippy Barn decided to rename it and now it’s called Country Cream, just in case you are looking for it.
Anyway, with very little effort, I then had a totally blank canvas on which to start over.
Quite some time ago I ordered a few IOD transfers. You’ve seen some of the smaller ones that I’ve used on watering cans, a step stool, and a button box. But I also ordered the larger version of their Le Petit Rosier (it’s 24″ x 33″). I’d been waiting for just the right piece to use it on.
Turns out, this dresser is the one!
It took quite a bit of elbow grease to get this transfer applied. I really had to work at each individual letter to make sure it was down before continuing to lift the backing. And there are a lot of letters …
And I messed up on quite a few of them losing half of an ‘a’ or the top of an “L”. But overall I think those mistakes just sort of blend in.
Once the transfer was on, I waxed over it lightly with clear wax and then put the same glass knobs back on.
The polka dotted paper I used to line the top two drawers continues to work with this new look as well.
Now, all that remains is to see whether or not the dresser will sell this time around.
And if it doesn’t, then I am going to find a way to keep it because I absolutely love it.
But if any of you locals want to snatch it up, check out my ‘available for local sale‘ page for more details.